Saturday, May 8, 2010

Devastation and Reform


Fear can drive stick
And it's taking me down this road
A road down which I swore I'd never go
And here I sit thinking of God knows what
Afraid to admit I might self-destruct...

Devastation and Reform
Relient K

This is one blog that is actually inspired by a song, the song that was quoted for this article. Normally, I would just write about an idea and then an appropriate song that I can associate it with just comes next. But the song (actually more of like the song title) speaks of common experiences of many believers so I thought of using it as an idea for a blog...

And as I was thinking on what to write about, the word “gremlin” came to mind. Then the movie. It’s about a cute, tiny creature that can become some sort of a midget but mischievous monster when fed after midnight. And it multiplies if it gets wet.

I know a lot of believers whose spiritual growth is almost exponential. Such are some of my friends, people who I work with in the campuses and the sanctuary many years ago. I envy those people. I wish I was like them.

And I also know believers whose growth has been like a wavelength that oscillates up and down, up and down, and up and down again. I am amongst this second group. Tarnished. Wounded. Defeated many times.

How does one hit the bottom? Why do some of us start out like a a mighty oak only to snap like a little twig? Why cant we be like the ones whose growth is almost exponential?

The answers are many and simple. The Book calls them the weeds, the rocky soil, the thorns, the cravings of the carnal nature, the self-destructing pride… the list could go on. These are the big and little imperfections in us that can serve as gremlins, mischievous and dangerous, destroying the spirit and soul of a man. The human nature wages war against the spiritual nature. It’s waiting to be fed. Waiting to plunge itself into the river of worldliness. Waiting to take over and cause destruction to the redeemed, sanctified soul.

So how do we get rid of these gremlins? How are the devilish gremlins in the movie conquered?… by exposing them to light. The gremlins freaks out when they are exposed to light. They can only thrive in dark places.

That’s right… the Light. Light dissipates darkness. Light can scare our demons away. Of course we know who the Light is... The Light of our Salvation.

No matter how devastated we think we are, there is reformation. God in his infinite mercy is always willing to take the prodigal back. Like an eager father waiting for the return of his wayward son. All it takes is a decision to cross-over. Sometimes it’s not easy. Sometimes we feel like we have gone too far to return. But it’s possible. And when it happens, we cant really fully explain how. Maybe we are simply the chosen. Predestined to be in a relatiponship with the Father. I think it’s what they call “grace.” Some undeserved love from a compassionate God.

No comments:

Post a Comment